Monday, April 8, 2013

Why We Need To Unplug and Go Outside this Spring!

The other day I read a thought-provoking article in the April issue of Women’s Health Magazine about Vitamin N deficiency. Vitamin N? What’s that? You see, I am a health and wellness nut; I was a med student; I taught nutrition at an obesity clinic; and this year I became a certified wellness coach. This begs me to ask the question 'why didn’t I learn about this in nutrition class?' I was instantly inspired to learn more about this “supplement” and what it could do for my clients’ and my health.

                                   

I am well-versed on the importance of micronutrients, such as fat-soluble A, D, E, K and water-soluble vitamins B’s and C. The term 'Vitamin N' completely intrigued and perplexed me. I had to dig deeper and find out more. What I unearthed was eye-opening. With the advent of technology and living a more desk-bound lifestyle, human culture has become increasingly more sedentary. In my senior thesis, I actually looked at the behavior of obese children and the impact of inactivity on their health. Much of their obesity was attributed to their lifestyle choices: Playing video games, surfing the Internet, social networking, watching movies/TV, doing homework on the computer, etc. I have seen similar parallels in my peers and colleagues who spend the bulk of their day on the computer typing up expense reports, press releases, organizing their calendar, emailing, and/or tweeting from a desk. Being in a seated position staring at a blue screen for eight to ten hours per day would leave anyone feeling unwell. We are not sleeping adequately, eating properly, or taking time to get fresh air—which makes us feel cranky, achy, and uninspired.
                                  

Dr. Louv, author of Last Child in the Woods and The Nature Principle, and co-founder of the Children & Nature Network described this behavior as “Nature Deficit Disorder.” Some doctors now recognize this as a vitamin deficiency and treat it by writing prescriptions for Vitamin N. Patients are literally receiving doctor’s orders to go outside and spend time in nature.


The past few days here in N.Y.C. have been absolutely gorgeous and the weather has me in a better mood. I have been spending my lunch break walking four miles everyday. I am so excited to spend some time playing in the sunshine, just like I did as a child. Growing up as a city kid, I've been exposed to pollution, smog, the aroma of the Staten Island dump, poor air quality, cigarette smoke, traffic jams, etc. I'm not here to complain, I'm here to bring to light something that us city slickers are lacking: Exposure to nature. Personally, I’m always craving the freedom to spend time outside, surrounded by trees, breathing fresh air, walking on grass, and feeling the wind across my face. Have you? 

Dr. Louv gives 10 reasons why children + adults need more Vitamin N:


1) The more high-tech our lives become, the more nature we need.


2) Humans are hard-wired to love and need exposure to the natural world. 


3) We suffer when we withdraw from nature.


4) Nature brings our senses alive.


5) Individuals and businesses can become nature smart.



6) Nature heals.


7) Nature can reduce depression and improve psychological well-being.


8) Nature builds community bonds.


9) Nature bonds families and friends.


10) The future is at stake.


This is why I have always taken my niece, nephew, and the kids I've cared for to the park—because it’s good for them and good for me, too!  We get our daily dose of Vitamin D from the sunshine, our hands deep in the dirt for healthy bacteria and boosting our immunity, and giving our lungs the chance to be oxygenated with fresh, crisp, smoke-free air. This spring, I hope you, too, will take a walk outside and spend more time in nature. You deserve to feel well and like I I said in my previous blog post, I’m determined to help get you outside on May 26th!

                        


xo, health, and happiness,

Noel 
www.SheLivesInspired.com

No comments:

Post a Comment